MACINTOSH MONDAY

Those of you who have followed the blog for a while will realise that Macintosh used to be a bit of a pickle when it came to chewing things. He has a long a distinguished chewing career and has amassed quite a list of items he has destroyed. Some of those things include; the dining room table, wicker baskets, tea towels, my watch, books, cushions, all but one pair of Andrew's shoes and doormats!

Coming over to America the desire to chew seemed to have disappeared and we were left in peace. The ominous silence no longer filled us with dread that somewhere Macintosh was busy munching his way through something that we would need to replace....again. Instead we could allow him to roam the house knowing that we would no longer need to worry. In fact we began to buy him nice dog toys again! Once upon a time he would maul to death any toy we brought home for him and within 20 minutes the toy would be a useless pile of smaller, spit covered pieces. Now he plays with his toys, the stuffed animals last for longer and he genuinely seems to enjoy them! 

However (isn't there always a however with our dog?!) last week as we were waiting for Andrew to return home from work Macintosh decided to play with his new reindeer toy. He was merrily flicking it about, making it squeak and generally playing nicely. I pretty much left him to it and continued what I was doing until the low throaty growl that often accompanies destruction appeared out of nowhere! I stopped what I was doing and spun round in time to witness some destruction. That poor reindeer! 

Obviously I intervened at this point before the house was covered in fluff and reindeer parts by snatching the poor toy away. I held up one poor antler, looked at Macintosh and said something to the affect that I was disappointed in him and that he shouldn't start this chewing again. Well obviously the disappointment line works on dogs too because he crept right up to me, laid down and looked at me as if to say, 'I'm sorry!'


Come to think of it that might not be a sorry look, it may just be him trying to work out how quickly he could snatch it out of my hand and destroy it. Silly dog!
H

No comments:

Post a Comment